Dear reader: This post features some affiliate links. We will get a little commission if you purchase through them, without costing you anything extra. Happy reading 🙂
Do you think your cat is too skinny no matter what you feed him/her? Then, it is time to look for canned cat food for weight gain. Only calorie-dense foods are not the solution. You must select meals for your cat that are full of nutrients like plenty of protein, animal fat, and other micronutrients supporting healthy muscle.
While obesity in cats is a widely famous topic, a few people talk about skinny cats. In most cases, as carnivores, cats eat protein-based meals and it keeps them fit. Obesity happens when they continue overeating. It is highly recommended that you feed your felines only the quantity of foods they need.
Meanwhile, pay attention to their food habits. If your cat doesn’t like eating, check with a vet before feeding anything to it. Eating disorders might happen for various reasons like digestion problems or other stomach issues. You can also change the protein source to check what your little carnivorous likes!
What Causes Weight Loss?
If your cat was not skinny, but now they are losing weight then it is high time you pay attention to the reasons. Unhealthy weight loss may happen due to lower metabolism with age or some other underlying issues that you need to address.
Some of the probable reasons can be:
- Insufficient calorie intake.
- Anxiety, stress, depression, or lack of mood.
- Feline diabetes.
- Neurologic or central nervous system disorders.
- Intestinal parasites or other gastrointestinal infections.
- Kidney disease and liver problems.
- Different viruses such as FIP, FeLV, and FIV.
- Cancer and
- Dental problems.
The average weight for a healthy feline is about 10 pounds. You can easily guess if your furry friend is losing weight just by looking! If they lose only about 10% of their weight, you must take the necessary steps. So, if you are looking for foods that will help your felines to gain weight, take a look at the best wet canned cat foods below.
1. Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food
High-calorie canned foods are really helpful for felines to gain weight. Instinct original wet food is made with 95% animal protein from turkey, chicken, and liver. This food doesn’t contain any grain or artificial components. The real chicken or turkey will satisfy your feline friend’s belly and cravings. Added fruits and vegetables, as well as omega fatty acids, will promote your cat’s overall health, shiny fur, and healthy skin.
- As the primary protein source, Instinct Original uses cage-free chicken which ensures your cat’s strong and lean muscles.
- This meal contains 95% chicken, turkey, and chicken liver. So the protein is enough for your felines. Also, it contains no grain.
- Free of potato, corn, soy, wheat, any by-product meal or artificial color, and preservatives.
- Omega fatty acids in this meal promote a healthy and shiny coat and skin.
2. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Chicken Turkey & Chicken Liver Pate Canned Cat Food
Wellness Core Grain-free is made of real chicken, liver, and turkey as the main source of protein. For your cat’s overall health and proper digestion, this nutrient-filled meal is one of the best-canned meals. To ensure your feline’s strong, lean muscles and healthy body, Wellness Core can be your first choice.
Omegas from flaxseed and salmon oil ensure healthy skin and shiny coats. Essential antioxidants, taurine, minerals, and vitamins support overall health and give a strong immune system.
- Chicken, turkey, and chicken liver as the first ingredients in this grain-free meal, provide your cats with the necessary protein.
- Antioxidants from cranberries as well as necessary vitamins, minerals, omega acids, and taurine support healthy immunity.
- With the smooth pate texture with delicious flavor, this meal will be your feline’s favorite one.
- Keeps your furry babies hydrated all day, ensuring a healthy urinary tract.
- Free of grains, carrageenan, or artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors.
3. Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Chicken Pate Canned Cat Food
Merrick Purrfect Bistro is here for your felines with some bistro-inspired recipes. High protein from tender chicken in this meal will give your feline strong muscle and a lean body. A healthy and tasty mixture of organic alfalfa and cranberries will leave your kitty with a licking mouth. Added vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids ensure healthy immune, skin, and shiny coat.
- For your cat’s healthy muscles and lean body, this grain-free recipe is very helpful. The real protein from real chicken provides the protein needs.
- Essential vitamins, minerals, taurine, and antioxidants ensure healthy immune.
- Omega 3 fatty acids support healthy skin and shiny coats.
- Essential moisture in the meal keeps your furry friend hydrated and healthy.
- Free of grain, wheat, soy, corn, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
4. Ziwi Peak Venison Recipe Canned Cat Food
Ziwi Peak Venison Recipe is here with a balanced diet for your cat’s overall health and immune system. Treat your furry friend to the best food from New Zealand. With fresh meat, organs, and bones as the main protein sources, Ziwi is here to keep your babies healthy always.
- Single protein, grain-free Ziwi Peak comes with chunky pate to serve your kitty with the right nutrition.
- Protein from meat, organs, and bone makes it the most delicious meal for your cats.
- Ziwi contains no added carbohydrates, potato, soy, or any cheap filler.
- Organic kelp and New Zealand green mussels with green tripe promote vitality and overall wellbeing.
- No added probiotics, antibiotics, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Mature Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
Worried about the weight loss of your older cat? Take care of your old furry friend with a Blue Buffalo Wilderness meal. This grain and gluten-free meal will help your senior cats stay in perfect health. The high protein from the real chicken will ensure healthy muscles and fruits and vegetables will take care of other nutritional needs. Added vitamins and minerals will ensure overall health. DHA and taurine will take care of your cat’s immune system.
- The smooth texture of the meal will keep your kitty coming for a meal at the right time.
- High protein from the real chicken will ensure healthy muscles and a lean body.
- DHA and taurine support cognitive development and heart health.
- This meal is wholesome and doesn’t contain any grain, gluten, by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives.
6. Hound & Gatos 98% Chicken & Liver Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
Hound & Gatos 98% Chicken & Liver Grain-Free cat food is an ideal meal for your cats to gain some healthy weight. A homestyle wholesome chicken recipe will keep your furry friends happy all day long. Also, the chicken liver will provide essential nutrition. Vitamins and minerals in the meal ensure overall health and immune system. This meal is free of carbohydrates or artificial fillers.
- High-quality chicken and liver are the main sources of protein that keep your kitty healthy.
- No plant protein is added to this meal.
- Added vitamins and minerals provide essential nutrition.
- Free of artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or other fillers.
7. Nulo Freestyle Shredded Chicken & Duck in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
Nulo Freestyle Shredded Chicken & Duck in Gravy will keep your kitty running for meals every time you open the can! The irresistible flavor of real chicken and duck keeps your furry friend happy the whole day. Protein from real animals makes this meal a perfect company for weight gaining. To maintain strong bones and lean muscles, Nulo is one of the best wet cat foods. Your feline will love the meaty, tender bites and gravy.
- If you are into pure protein to keep your kitty tummy happy, Nulo freestyle is one of the top choices. Chicken and duck as the top protein source to fulfill the protein needs of your little carnivore.
- Added vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, and essential taurine ensures overall health and wellbeing.
- This meal contains no grains, carrageenan, meat by-products, corn, wheat, soy, or artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors.
- Plenty of moisture from broth-based gravy keeps your furry friend hydrated all day long.
- Easy-open cans make mealtime easy and hassle-free for you.
8. Solid Gold Purrfect Pairings Savory Mousse with Tuna & Goat Milk Grain-Free Cat Food
With Solid Gold Purrfect Pairings Savory Mousse, make the mealtime more delightful for your little carnivores. Protein-rich real tuna in every bite will keep your kitty happy. Even if your feline is the pickiest eater, this savory meal will take care of it. The added goat milk helps in digestion and makes the meal full of nutrients. Vitamins, minerals, taurine, and antioxidants provide balanced nutrition.
- With high protein tuna and filling mousse made with wholesome goat milk, this holistic meal is the best even for your picky eater. Your cat will love filling their tummy with this mouthwatering food.
- Essential amino acids, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and taurine ensure your cat’s overall health and wellbeing.
- The added goat milk helps digest the nutrients well and keeps your kitty hydrated always.
- Free of added gluten, grains, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
9. Dr. Elsey’s Cleanprotein Chicken Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
As carnivores, your cats love their prey very much. Dr. Elsey’s cleanprotein Chicken Formula is made with the proteins found in natural prey that will keep your kitty belly happy. Real chicken is the main source of protein, this meal is filled with nutrient-rich New Zealand green mussels that promote a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Chicken with high levels of protein promotes a healthy body mass and a satisfied appetite. Your furry friend will stay happier the whole day.
- A little amount of carbohydrate provides 4% of energy.
- Totally free of grain, gluten, and artificial filler or colors.
- Added vitamins and minerals ensure overall health.
10. Nature’s Logic Feline Chicken Feast Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
Whole foods and natural ingredients make this meal a complete one for your little carnivores. The palatable and savory taste will keep your kitty belly happy. This protein-rich, nutrient-dense wet cat food contains chicken as the first source of protein. Some fruits and vegetables have also been added that help indigestion. Nature’s Logic contains natural eggshell calcium and plasma protein containing natural vitamins and minerals.
- As the main protein source, 100% real chicken is used in this meal that takes care of all protein needs of your felines.
- This meal is free of grain and gluten which makes great food for kitties with sensitive stomachs.
- Free from potatoes, peas, lentils, wheat, corn, rice, soy, carrageenan, and any artificial fillers and colors.
- This superfood contains whole foods like apricots, apples, kelp, blueberries, and carrots.
Some tips to help your cat gain weight naturally
It is very important to know the underlying causes of weight loss. If your cat is naturally skinny then you can definitely try some remedies. To help your cats gain healthy weight, here are some tips to follow:
- Offer your feline different types of cat foods that are healthy as well as tasty. Consider the cat’s age and preferences. Look after their health before feeding anything. Find out if they have any digestion issues or allergies. If you are feeding dry food continuously, try wet food instead. Some Above described wet foods are healthy and tasty. Pick the one that suits your feline friend and go with it for a change. A healthy diet surely makes a huge impact.
- Always serve your kitty with a fresh bowl of food. You can add a little bit of warm water before feeding. Feed them smaller portions with three to five meals throughout the day. If you have got a peaky eater, try feeding different foods like wet food and then dry food as a reward!
- If the problem still remains after you have done all things, talk to a veterinarian. naturally balanced cat food helps felines gain a healthy weight as well as lean muscles. If your cat is naturally skinny or a peaky eater, switching food will help them gain a healthy weight.
Homemade high-calorie cat food for weight gain
If nothing works for your furry little carnivores, try feeding homemade food. Here is an easy recipe for you.
You can boil the ingredients and then mix them in a food grinder to make a smooth paste. Or, you can mix the ingredients raw in the processor and serve it to your kitty. In both cases, the food will do the same. If your feline doesn’t like raw food, try the boiled recipe. The chicken broth will serve your kitty with enough moisture throughout the day.
This simple wholesome meal will make your kitty tummy full and happy. And eventually, your feline will start gaining healthy weight.
This is not about just gaining weight, rather, it is all about keeping your felines healthy and happy. Gaining an unhealthy amount of weight is as bad as being skinny. So, the most natural process to help your cats gain healthy weight is to take care of their nutritional needs. Checking if they have any health issues is much more important than making them fat.
Check with a vet before you try something new with your furry friends. If your vet has any suggestions about food, go with them. And if you have a perfectly healthy cat who is just peaky, try feeding them different tasty meals. Check out the meals listed above and buy the one that meets your cat’s nutritional needs.
Keep your kitty hydrated and make sure they consume enough vitamins and minerals along with proteins. Deworm them when required and keep them happy with toys! As long as your little carnivore is playing and eating food, you have nothing to worry about. Just a little tweak in the meals will help them gain balanced weight as well as allow them to maintain lean muscles with shiny coats.
Take a look at our best canned cat food for weight gain, select the one according to your kitty’s requirements and help them live a healthy, happy, long life.
Made by Nacho Vs. The Honest Kitchen Comparison in 2023
Made by Nacho Cat Food Review in 2023
Why Do Cats Play With Their Food? 4 Ways to Stop It!